The TCA Peel is an office procedure designed to significantly improve the appearance and health of your skin. The peel enables the physician to achieve optimal results on a broad range of conditions:
- Epidermal and Dermal Pigmentation Problems
- Fine lines, wrinkles, shallow stretchable scars, large pores
- Acne, Comedones, Actinic Keratoses
- Skin laxity
Using a low concentration of the chemical trichloroacetic acid (TCA) the peel allows your doctor to monitor the appropriate depth to effectively remove the thin surface layers of aged and damaged skin from the face and other parts of the body.
These dead skin cells are replaced by healthier ones, allowing the skin's own clarity and tightness to resurface. In addition to the face, the peel can be performed on the lower eyelids, neck, chest, hands, back, arms and legs and is appropriate for all skin types.
The peel is a quick, relatively simple and tolerable procedure that in most patients does not require sedation. Application of the peel takes about 20 minutes, depending on the number of coats your doctor has determined are necessary to achieve your goals.
You will experience a moderate burning sensation that lasts a few minutes with each coat. Your doctor will use a fan to minimise this sensation. The whitish tint will be gently washed off with a special cleanser immediately following the peel.
After the procedure, you may expect:
- Healing is usually painless.
- Swelling may occur usually around the eye area, varies according to depth of the peel and the degree of skin laxity.
- Peeled skin will feel tight and darken before it peels in 2-3 days, and appears as a mask.
- Post peel erythema (redness) is minimal.
- Occasional itching may occur.
- Healing time 7 - 10 days, depending on the depth of the peel.
The best time to judge the results of the TCA Peel is 3 to 4 weeks after complete healing. The TCA peel is a medium peel, therefore, your physician may advise a 2nd peel. Deep pigmentation or spots may need more TCA peel procedures to achieve significant clinical improvements.